Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Travel Bucket List

Of course, I'd like to leave footprints on every inch of the globe. But I'm only one person, and I have very small feet. So I have to prioritize how I'm going to go about seeing everything and experiencing it all. That leads me to my top 5 picks, my travel bucket list of countries.

5. Iceland



 Admittedly, Iceland had never crossed my mind until my mom and brother insisted I look into it for a possible summer destination. And, well don't tell them but... they were right. (Seriously. Don't tell my brother. I'll never here the end of it.) The blue lagoon (pictured above) and hundreds of other hot springs. After Costa Rica, I'm a sucker for hot springs. In the winter there's special trips and hotels that specialize in the Aurora Borealis viewings. This is definitely on my list for a late summer or fall escape.

4. Maldives


The Maldives. As a student, a little out of my price range currently but for my honeymoon or even the wedding itself? Beeeautiful! That perfect azul water... Just dangling your toes off the dock and watching the fish... I could seriously go right now. Anyone wanna get married? I need a vacation.

3. Italy

 Italy. It's on everyone's to-visit list. And while the cities are beautiful and unique, it's the countryside I really want to see. The villas and rolling hills; the vineyards and valleys. Being a self-proclaimed foodie, this would be heaven! How can you not love a place that loves its food!? I love everything about classic Italian cooking. A food-based tour of Italy? That's food-coma heaven to me.

2. Australia

Alright. I'll admit it.When I was little (7 to 12ish) I had a huge, massive, ginormous crush on Steve Irwin. I watched his show on Animal Planet religiously. Wrestling crocodiles, dancing with poison snakes, saving wallabies... and that accent! If- no, when-I go to Australia, his zoo is number one on my things-I-absolutely-have-to-do list. Of course there's Ayer's Rock. The Great Barrier Reef. But how can you pass up a chance to see the place your childhood hero worked so hard in and loved so deeply?

1. New Zealand

Yes, New Zealand is my number one, have to go or I'll die of depression and longing, bucket list choice. Amazing snowboarding, a countryside so beautiful you literally cannot breathe, and from what I hear, the people are delightful and welcoming. Let's not forget of course that The Lord of the Rings and now The Hobbit were filmed there. J.R.R. Tolkien is my favorite author and how could I ever pass up a chance to visit and have a drink at the Green Dragon? Or see for myself how a Hobbit hole is not a dirty wet hole but warm and comfortable, just like the books and movies depict. Though I have yet to go, I think if I were to go ex-pat and live out of the US, I think I could do it in New Zealand. I'll just have to take a few trips there to make sure. ;)

That's my Top 5 Bucket List Destinations. What are yours? Can you even narrow it down to 5?

-Spencer

1 comment:

  1. I would love to visit many places ~ some for the natural beauty, others for the culture, food and history. In no particular order- Thailand, Peru (Machu Picchu), Greece, Hawaii, and Indonesia (Bali) are 5 destinations that are of great interest to me.

    ReplyDelete